mission specialist series
The all new VideoRay Mission Specialist Series (MSS) Remotely Operated Vehicle Systems are a customizable and flexible platform that use a system of interchangeable, modular components, communicating through a single intelligent network. The topology of the Mission Specialist Series ROV systems provides an extremely flexible and customizable platform which can be easily adapted to target specific missions. The philosophy behind the Mission Specialist Series is fitting each system to the sensors, tools, depth rating, and thrust needed for the job at hand, rather than retrofit accessories to a standard ROV.
VideoRay MSS ROVs are configured from modular components. Available Mission Specialist modules include cameras with a wide range of resolutions, LED lighting, powerful thrusters capable of up to one horsepower operation, power systems ranging from 75 Volts to 1600 Volts as well as an on-board battery option, different manipulators, positioning and sensors for radiation, water quality, and metal thickness, imaging and multibeam sonars, and a purpose-built frame customized around the payload requirements of the operator's chosen sensor and tooling package.
The depth rating for the Mission Specialist Series ROV systems is 2 kilometers (6,561 feet), a huge leap from the Pro 4's 300 m (1,000 ft) rating. In the very near future VideoRay plans to offer systems operable to full ocean depth – over 11,000 m (36,200 ft). All VideoRay Mission Specialist ROVs will use high quality, durable VideoRay plug-and-play copper or fiber optic tether, and can accommodate tether configurations up to 2 kilometers.
The MSS ROV power module is critical to ensure your ROV system has the competency to maneuver and collect the desired data in your working environment. This decision will influence topside control, vehicle, and tether options accordingly. MSS ROV configurations are designed to have either short or long tether runs, and/or on-board battery power.
Typically, the 75 volt version of the power module will be used for shorter tethers or submersibles with on-board batteries. The 420 - 1600 volt versions are primarily for long tether runs, where more power is needed at the submersible.
- 36-75V SYSTEM: Plenty of power for short tether runs down to 300 meters with a top side control panel.
- 420V SYSTEM: Big power with plenty to spare for long tether runs.
- 1600V SYSTEM: MEGA power - combine with on-board vehicle batteries for tether runs up to 10 kilometers.
- BATTERY: Go on-board vehicle lithium-ion battery for rapid inspections or combine with power module for very long tether runs.
Comprising the "business end" of the MSS ROV system are a variety of simple, modular components that will be configured into the vehicle for your missions. Cameras, lighting, purpose designed frames, hydrodynamic flotations, and tailored propulsion layouts are all important factors to consider in the vehicle's design.
The VideoRay MSS ROV systems will carry an initial depth rating up to four kilometers (13,123 feet). The ultimate goal in future generations will be full ocean depth.
The MSS ROV High Resolution camera module provides state of the art still and video images. This camera provides imaging options from 640 x 480 up to 1920 x1080 while performing digital zoom and tilt functions. The main camera can also capture 13 megapixel still images all stored directly to the control panel hard drive ready for export. The sensor package on this module monitors internal pressure/vacuum integrity, temperature, humidity, and physical tilt position. Since the glass dome is of optical quality and optimized for underwater use, the wide angle image is of the highest quality available.
Super bright LED lighting modules can go anywhere. Toggle between spot and flood for perfect illumination.
One of the most critical components of a Mission Specialist ROV configuration is the thruster. VideoRay's MSS plug and play thruster is by far the most advanced thruster of its kind available from any source. It combines a compact form factor with the ability to configure systems with up to 255 thrusters. With extreme depth ratings and no scheduled maintenance, it is engineered to provide hundreds of hours of trouble-free service. The sophisticated control and reporting electronics provide feedback of current, voltage, RPM, and temperature, allowing topside monitoring of health and efficiency and prevention of unplanned downtime. The built-in brushless motor controller, directly driving the prop, is the smoothest available, allowing fine control, slow speed, and instant reverse. Capable of one horsepower operation, each thruster offers up to 10.8 kg (24 lbs) of thrust on 570 watts input.
The VideoRay MSS ROV System can seemlessly integrate a variety of tooling and sensor packages from 3D sonar and positioning systems to cavitation cleaners and unexploded ordnance disrupters. Since the vehicle's power supply and framework are designed around the sensor package, the possibilities are virtually endless.
The MSS ROV system can also, in most cases, match power and communications with any off-the-shelf sensor package using our Universal Accessory Translation Module (UATM). This provides a variety of power voltages, and translates virtually all popular protocols onto the system's data bus. These are presented to the computer on the surface as either Ethernet sockets or virtual com ports, making software integration easy and painless.
- MODULES: State of the art sensor modules relay important vehicle attitude and information. 3D compass, depth, inertial measurement units, and more.
- SENSORS: Integrate a wide variety of data gathering sensors such as sonar, DVLs, and water parameter sensors.
- TOOLING: Get the job done with a variety of intervention tools such as manipulators and NDT tools.
- POSITIONING: Know precisley where your vehicle is at all times, mark targets, and get GPS positions on both with our navigation and positioning systems.
A hallmark of all VideoRay systems is a powerful and compact surface control console. It provides all power, display, computer, and control equipment in a form factor to fit your control area. Portable consoles that can carry an IP65 water ingress rating, control room rack systems, and simple system control over internet are a few of the top-side control options.
The Communications Module on a Mission Specialist System takes commands from the surface in a variety of protocols (depending on the type and length of tether) and distributes them among sensor, thruster, and tooling modules.
- CONTROL PANEL: The VideoRay top-side control panel is your window to the underwater world. HD monitors and lightning fast computers are standard.
- DEVICES: Wi-Fi enabled control panels can stream live ROV video and data anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
- USER INPUT: Every ROV pilot has their preferred control method so pick a compatible USB controller and go.
- INSTRUMENTATION: VideoRay's proprietary ROV control software displays a variety of instruments giving the pilot hyper awareness of the state of the vehicle at all times.